I have been making rag quilts for a year now and have gotten the hang of it and felt it was a good step into piecing a quilt. I want to be a quilter but it scares me to death. Mostly because I HATE pinning for hours. So this is my first real pieced quilt for little Kiley. I went ahead and picked out 6 materials (4 I had on hand thanks and then I picked up two new printed ones to make it complete) and cut out 49 7" squares. I put them into this design and then stacked them into rows and labeled each row with a piece of paper so I would not mess up my order.
Nice isn't it I was proud.
I used my open sewing time during spring break to sew together each row of 7 and then put them all together. And after I finished the front i realized it needed a super perfect back. So I headed to my new favorite place Joann's and got HOT PINK super soft fabric for the back. But up and sewed a crazy cozy binding and put it all together. And for the quilting aspect i did not have a free form foot like I wanted yet to I simply sewed on the the edges of the squares which turned out perfect. You can't see the stitch at all on the front and it made a great quilted pattern on the back which i like. Simple but nice. Oh it is so cozy.... so much so that I am making the girls their own very soon!
Now on to project number 2.
Burp cloths
I have seen there are about 4 billion ways to make these and I couldn't decide for a while which way I wanted to go. So i decided to do a mixed middle with all my favorite fabric. Here are a few just for fun.
And here are my favorite to go with project number 3 the nursing cover.
I debated on fabric for a long time. And since I ALWAYS play it safe i thought i would be daring for once. I just hope Kristi likes it. I know she is like me and keeps it simple but this is just so dang girly I love it to pieces. I of course did not have a computer at the time so I had to use my phone to follow the step by step instructions. That was fun. Here is the pattern i used and it turn out just like I hoped. And it really was simple. If you can sew a straight line you can make this no problem. plus it is a GREAT and cheap gift for someone. And being a mother who has nursed and had her hooters exposed to the world thanks to falling blankets, I will attest that no mother can have too many. I am going to have like 4 or 5 if I ever get another baby around here.
Wow - you are so creative! I love the quilt! I haven't tried to tackle a piece quilt so I am super impressed.
ReplyDeleteShe is going to be stocked with burp cloths, cute ones at that.
#3: I am on child #7 and I only now found out about these nursing shields. They are awesome! I know she'll love it!
So to recap: Your projects are amazing and I am amazed at your talent!!!!
Amazing! Your such a great sewer! What a good friend you are!
ReplyDeleteI love all of these projects!!! How amazing! I think you're well on your way to being a quilter, my dear!
ReplyDeleteOh I wish you could come and teach me how to do a quilt, I've been wanting to do one so bad. But I'm not brave enough to do it on my own
ReplyDelete