If you want read on for a few highlights that I like to call... what is really going on behind the walls and doors!
ISA ---Somewhere behind this beautiful face and shy little demeanor is a bold, demanding, touchy, dramatic kid!
LAYLA--- she really is the best big sister outside of our home and perfectly listens to everyone but the mother who stays at home all day with her.
ME: "Layla you did a really good job dressing up barbie she looks beautiful. You are getting to be such a big girl."
Layla: "NO I AM NOT A BIG GIRL! I AM JUST GOOD GUY LAYLA!"
WHY WHY WHY can I not give my kid a compliment without messing it up by not remembering that she is nothing more than GOOD GUY LAYLA!
"You need to react quicker so that you aren't mad when you finally crack down on the bad behavior. You need to tell them to stop and if they do it again punish them. YOU TALK TOO MUCH!" After going home and talking with Brian I realized that this is exactly what I am doing wrong. I do try to let her do the right thing. She of course listens for about 3 minutes TOPS and then returns to doing whatever it was that was getting her in trouble. So after thinking about it I realized that she hates to go to her room and stop whatever she is doing. So that is the punishment for everything. I ask once, THAT'S IT! It works wonders because I am finished putting her in the room before I even think about getting upset for her not listening.
Anyways to finish my rambling story. I am not only getting up two steps before I hear, "NO I'LL BE A GOOD GUY I'LL BE A GOOD GUY!!!" I used to think, oh great I am glad you get the picture, but no no I did not give her the credit she deserves. She was just feeding me what I wanted to hear. She really just thought, this is going to get me out of a punishment.
Nothing is better then when your children finally decide to gang up on you! Tonight is a perfect example. All week long they haven't napped, making them little hellions! Today, as I stated before, was no different. Layla couldn't nap after listening to 2 and a half hours of screaming. I was lucky that she even laid down for a while quietly. Anyways we had a wonderful night playing and singing. Finally we ended the night with hide and seek. About a minute before the game ended Layla got out our carpet powder and went to town shaking it; after being warned 2 times today to not touch it. This of course was way too good of an opportunity because MOM IS HIDING!!!! Anyways i thought, hey we will just head up to stairs and get ready for bed no punishment. NO NO NO she knew she was wrong and went straight into the yelling that she is sorry and don't tell me no mom stuff. So on we went to our room. I came in no less than a minute later with Isa and low and behold she peed her pants to stick it to me!
I kept me cool and put them in pj's, read books, said prayers and tucked them in. I headed down stairs to answer the phone and chatted with my best friend for a few minutes. Then after hearing them move around for a while i went in to check on them. And to my surprise a tornado had hit their room. EVERY ARTICLE OF CLOTHING was all over the floor; followed with all the stuffed animals which were reached by stacking pillows and blankets off both beds. And Layla was standing on the bed with a huge smile while Isa sat in a box. I would have laughed but Layla spoke for them saying "We aren't going to bed Mom. We don't have to. We are playing!" And at that moment all the wonderful patience I had flew out the window. I got them to pick up for about 20 seconds before they were throwing clothes at my face laughing and running around.
Seeing that time out in the room was obviously out of the question, I put Layla in the hall and Isa on a spare bed. And I picked up the room for ten minutes. Then, when i tried to change poopy pants they ran around yelling "I don't have to I'll be a good guy!" That was it and I spanked them both and sent them to bed. I am not proud that I totally lost it right there at the end but I have to say I tried SO HARD AND ALMOST MADE IT! Tomorrow is a new day, right. Wish me luck with the two most wonderful and horrible children all balled up in one perfect package. I realize why we learn all the lessons of life we need to while staying at home and taking care of our children.
For all of you that think oh my kids never will be like that GOOD LUCK and I hope you are right! For those of you laughing because you have done it too, HOW DID YOU DO IT????
haha, oh Marilee this cracked me up. I'm proud of you, you are a good mom.
ReplyDeleteHave you read Love and Logic? You might like it, I don't know, I think it might be helpful to you in situations like this! I have a teachers edition if you want to borrow it, it's more geared towards educators but the principles are the same as the parenting one.
Okay this is HILARIOUS! The best is that now they are ganging up on you! I have NO IDEA WHAT to tell you except the fact that your girls are pretty smart! Just stand strong and don't let them boss you around! They are too cute though!
ReplyDeleteSo funny Marilee! (Not so funny at the time for you I'm sure...) You have sure got your hands full!
ReplyDeleteOK, that was a great post. I can just picture it all, and can picture that I would have lost my temper in about half the time you did! Those girls are too smart for their own good...
ReplyDeleteYou're a good mom, just know that, and you're doing things right.
And your hair looks great!