Friday, January 14

The best of 2010

Okay so I thought I would do a little recap and update post full of way too much info and photos but definitely worth the effort so I have a good review of the craziness I like to call the end of a decade.

Our family- We settled into our new home and life here in Kansas. After almost two years here we are at home and settled. We love Kansas! Between the thunderstorms and gorgeous seasons we have fallen in love with the midwest all over again. Brian and I both grew up in the area so this is home. However getting used to Kansas as opposed to Missouri was a nice change. I always heard that Kansas folks were all snobby. Well if they are then that if fine with me. Everyone is friendly, it is safe, our schools are FABULOUS, and everything you need is just a few blocks away. But it doesn't have that big city busy feel, it is still friendly and somewhat quiet.

Brian- Started his Master's Program this summer and is halfway done. He is doing FANTASTIC and I get to brag because he is my husband! He is the top of his class and no one really knows that. It really is the best way, no one knows you are doing so well but the teachers just love you! And I love him for working so hard and doing his best! Thankfully he hasn't been too busy yet. He is gone a ton but nothing I can complain about. When he is home he takes care of us. Next step for the year is finishing his Thesis. He will work on it all year and defend it in the summer in front of a board. And until then he will stay busy will classes and hospital rotations. 


Layla- STARTED KINDERGARTEN!!! This is the biggest event in her life thus far! She loves it and is totally at home there. Her teacher is wonderful. She is beginning to read and does well on her own. She is getting to be more patient at sounding out words as she reads. Her class is small which means they are all really close. And dance class has been a big deal this year. She is definitely a natural. For now I am letting her simply have fun. Dancing for no other reason then just to play. But soon I think i will put her in a studio to study ballet more strictly. She has such a natural grace and seems to just LOVE it to death. She is beginning to notice boys however THANKFULLY they are simply interesting and nice. (we haven't realized they are cute, and we are very happy about that!) 


Her church class is so small but that means she it attached to her teachers and they seem to like her too. It is amazing the things she knows. Oh course we would never know she understood the scriptures so much because she doesn't seem to pay attention when we are around. But being in the Primary has it's perks, one being i am informed when the girls make comments and answer questions correctly which is always a surprise. Anyone who has worked in Junior Primary knows the answers you usually get have nothing to do with the question! 

Isa- Since Layla has started school Isa and I have our afternoons together. At first we tried to work on school work and do a little preschool at home. I soon realized that hanging out just the two of us is a much better use of my time. Not that she doesn't need to work on school work but because I will never get this chance again. I won't have time just us. And since we have had this time I have learned a lot about her. Isa is a perfectionist OCD hoarder. She will categorize and organize her toys whenever she has a spare moment. And she is the master of organized chaos. She LOVES to put things in purses. And by things I mean ANYTHING. She will have a little princess, chap stick, piece of scrap paper, and a material square in a purse. And it has it's purpose. It isn't random to her. For the rest of  us it makes no sense. And she will do this with about 20 purses or bags a week. Then she will line them up on her rocking chair arm. Once a week Brian and i have to distract her long enough to empty them and start over. 


Isa is still having sleep troubles but we have come into a routine with it. She spends at least an hour a night cuddled up with me in bed. As much as I want my sleep she is so stinking cute when she cuddles that I just deal with the tired mornings. I figure it isn't any worse than having a baby around the house. Maybe it is her way of preparing us for some future date. Isa loves her puzzles, board games, and movies. She is the one in the house that controls our remote. She is one step away from sneaking out at night to find it and hide it in her bed. Seriously she always has it in hand. Not that she is always watching TV but if we are going to turn it on she is in charge. She lets others pick the movie but she turns it on and pauses it if anyone leaves their seat. It is funny! It wouldn't be so comical if we just had a tv. But with the sound system, xbox (with her favorite, netflix) and antenna, it makes for a struggle for others. Not her she is the one to show babysitters how to work it. 


Marilee-I have decided that my life is never going to be stable. I am not one of those moms that is going to get a house and a mini van and work on the PTA for the rest of her school aged kids life. I am going to be a student's wife. This means that I will get up early to get kids off, clean house all day, work of random kids class projects, plan church lessons, cook dinner, pick up kids, shuttle them to activities, then feed them, then hopefully talk to my hubby long enough to find that I will put the kids to bed and see him at 10. then I will stay up till one catching up and helping him study. It is busy, very busy around here. But I love it. I love that I get to help this year with Brian's school load. I love to edit his papers. You wouldn't know it from reading this blog, but I am actually an excellent writer. Who knew right?


 This year I have learned a lot about myself while helping him with his classes. I have learned what my definition of ethics are and how they differ from my personal morals. I have learned a lot about what kind of person I hope to be. Aside from his school load I have managed to plan and execute the duties of Room Parent for Layla's kindergarten class. This means a lot of planning and decorating, and more paper games then I knew I could come up with. It has been fun. I am not going to be signing up for this job all the time but I will help out as an assistant again for sure. I also taught primary this past year. It was wonderful and I grew to love the girls. It made me excited for my future with my girls. I know that the teenage years will be a struggle but that is just simply the truth for all parents. But the end of elementary school will be exciting. They will grow up and become responsible. And hopefully they will be a sweet and lively as those in my class. Now I have moved on to teach the CTR 5 class. They are the class in the middle of the girls. This will be fun and keep me on my toes. 

That is a little update on our lives and I hope you enjoy the video! I have found a way to keep me busy and feel productive! I am making memories right!?

1 comment:

  1. You can't do stuff like this unless you post a "Warning, Kristi! You will cry" at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...