As most of you know by now Isa has some sleeping issues. Call them night terrors, seizers, bad dreams, sleep walking, stress, anxiety attacks, whatever! If she gets up it is at exact times every night. No matter how tired, the time of bed she hits the sack, or amount of sleep the night before she sticks to this schedule. So last night when I woke up and say an Isa size shadow I blinked my contacts clear to see the clock said 2:08. This made me jump out of bed swoop her up and rush her to the bathroom. I caught her just as a mouth full of vomit went flying at my bed. Of course the stupid sheet had to roll up on the side so it totally got the mattress a bit, but thankfully motherly super power made me get up fast enough to catch 80% on my arm.
Now the poor kid has only puked once when she was just 7 months old and doesn't know what to do. She stood at the toilet letting it splash the sides. I helped her aim, held her hair, rubbed her back, and smoothed her. (Note i have not mentioned cleaning up yet!) I then helped he whip up her face, tie back her hair, and sat and talked with her until she was calm enough to sit. I cleaned up the toilet while explaining what is going on inside her little body. She was so cute she thanked me about every third heave for the help I was giving. "Mom thanks for holding my hair." "thanks for whipping my mouth." "what is this stuff, oh thanks for letting me know." Poor kind thing! Anyways after I got her settled, the vomit off the toilet, I put her in bed. Then I went to clean my arm. Yes I cleaned my arm after everything else was done. WHY???? cause you can with motherly super power. This is a power that allows you to be covered in puke and comfort a kid without dry heaving. Now the sad thing is that this power doesn't last forever. It lasts only as long as necessary to take care of a needy little one. Once they settle long enough to take a break the nausea sets in. But really dads are not usually as talented. Brian get sick just listening to the girls. I am able to jump up and do whatever is needed without getting sick. However the moment they settle I am wanting to run myself to the toilet.
And I have learned that this super mother power comes at all times you need it. When Isa first had her "attacks" I could calmly hold her until she stopped screaming. I didn't get hysterical or sob until well after the fact. This power is something we women must cherish. this is why motherhood is ordained before we are born. It is in us all from the beginning. That is also why Layla was able to run to get a rag and help clean up her sisters face while i held the bucket and rubbed her back without batting an eye or getting the slight tinge of ill feelings. I am proud to be a mother and thankful mostly for my husband. I am thankful that after two hours of sleep I am able to stay home and continue to care for my sick child. I don't have to work, I don't have to head off anywhere. And I have someone to run to the store, my parents, and a friends all at 6:30 am. He then heads off to school with not much more sleep then me and does it happily. He does it because it is providing us a life we want. We can live the life we always dreamed of. That doesn't mean lots of money or a home of our own for now. Everyone knows grad student families are poor. But it is a life where we go to a fabulous school, have a nice home that we don't have to fix ourselves, plenty of money for food and basic needs, and I get to stay home. I get to, I don't have to, I want to.
So I am off now to take care of my little weak one who thankfully has kept some water down for an hour now. Lets just hope it stays that way cause trips 11-20 to the toilet i am sure won't be a fun as the first ten we have done so far.
Wish us all luck today and the rest of the week that no one else gets sick!
oh, poor little thing! Poor little Mommy too! Hopefully Miss Isa is feeling better soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this Marilee. I wish so badly that you and Brian were here, not only so I could help you out, but so I could share being a mom with you. I can't even explain how much I miss you guys, but I feel it every day. You're a great mom, and I'm so glad that you feel the same way about staying home that I do. It's hard for me to find other people who share that view. Love you!
ReplyDeleteGo super-mom! Sometimes I wish our powers were a little cooler, but I do have to say they are definitely what we need for the job. I hope everyone is feeling better soon. The flu is awful.
ReplyDelete