Dear Layla,
Yesterday after an exceptionally emotional afternoon we decided to go to the grocery store to pick up a quick to cook dinner. This is something you love to do, we call our meals box dinners (which you mix up and call box tops every time, it's cute).
Anyways we had you playing outside while you wait. Your dad as usual had you get on your shoes. This task always surprises us with either a ten minute dilemma of which ones match better or a what ever is closest moment when we sometimes find your wearing winter boots in 90° weather. yesterday was no exception as dad noted that he had to ask you a dozen times to get them on. Knowing your ability to always surprise us we asked quickly before locking the door "everyone got their shoes on?" This received a yes and we loaded into our car.
As we climbed in you protested a bit to riding in my car which I didn't mind because I too don't like driving it right now since our muffler is detached but alas it is easier when we are taking your brother and his car seat. When we were less than a block away from the store I felt your clammy feet on my arm, this grosses me out so I asked you to take your foot down and put back on your shoe. Then it came, "I forgot to put on shoes!" Yes I thought in that moment you have an amazing ability to be extremely common senseless.
Did it not occur to you to get shoes on when you went out to play, when dad asked a dozen times, when we informed you we were going to the store, when we double checked before closing the door, when you walked in the parking lot, or when we climbed into the car? Really Layla, no shoes. so we are now pulling up to the store and we let you know you have to wait in the car because we can't shop without shoes. Aside from the many common reasons I could give such as it is GROSS, I go for the standard no shoes no shirt no service rule.
Then you did the kid jump. You know the quick thinking line of reasoning only a kid could come up with. Your mind went from A you are not wearing shoes to Q "MOM YOU JUST WANT ME TO GET KIDNAPPED!!!!" Only a kid could make that connection. Yes Layla my master plan to getting rid of you all centered on getting you to forget your shoes.... I am just that creative!
No honey, this week I plan on keeping you and did not intend on leaving you in the car to get kid napped while we all shopped without you. No we didn't turn around to get your shoes as you begged. We let natural consequences fall and you stayed in the car, we just had dad join you.
So sweetheart contrary to how you might think I do not wish to get rid of you, I did not plan on you forgetting your shoes, you surprised us all with your lack of thought this time.
So note to self even if you think your kids are smart and have some common sense assume they don't and check not just verbally but by sight that everyone does in fact have shoes before pulling away from the house, next time dad might not be there to save us from making mom crazy by having to go all the way home first.
I love you Layla, you never cease to amaze me, even though it might be causing me to prematurely gray.
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment